My Blog

The random, ramblings of a work at home mum of two delightful children...it's a high mountain, but I have strong legs for climbing and strong arms for loving.

Sometimes I'm ranty, sometimes I'm helpful, sometimes I'm funny. If my blog posts offend you, just remember if we all thought the same, we'd be no better than robots!

Tuesday 16 November 2010

Why would I want to be a 'Yummy Mummy' ?


Why indeed? While I obviously hold no exception to being called a 'Mummy' since the birth of my first daughter in 2004, I have never had any desire to twin it with the word 'Yummy'. Let's face it after those first three weeks of broken nights and endless colic there was nothing further from my mind than the desire to be 'Yummy'. I was lucky if I got in the shower for a wash in those early days.

I did however eventually manage some sort of semblance of routine but this was based around the needs of my child and not around what I looked like or whether or not I was of the mind set to purchase the very latest in baby changing bags, prams or any of the other over priced paraphernalia associated with joining the exclusivity of being a 'Yummy Mummy'.

My more cynical side feels that it was a brand invented, and then punted and PR'd about by product manufacturers to entice new mothers into buying into some sort of higher level status through buying their products. As a new mother do we really need this extra pressure and lets face it in this day and age, expense? We've all seen the pictures and read the articles about celebs achieving their pre baby size 8 (or less) figures within weeks of giving birth but for most of us (and I do mean MOST!) this is highly unachievable, I for one can't remember ever being a size 8 pre baby, never mind post baby!

If I'm being honest I enjoyed not having to look my best all the time, as long as I was clean this seemed to be enough and my daughter didn't seem to mind that she was being pushed around in what to some might seem like a sub standard pram. I do of course have a changing bag and a pram but they didn't cost some of the ridiculous amounts I've seen charged, and some of my mummy friends seem to think that it is absolutely necessary to have four or five of each, I find this quite shocking for one tiny baby.

Maybe I'm old fashioned, maybe I just like to buck the trend, who knows. Let's face it I've only just bought my first pair of skinny jeans, probably just in time for them to go out of fashion again. Some of my friends are aspirational Yummy Mummy's and I still value their friendship in the same way and don't see them as any less or any more because of their acute desire to be seen as something that for me is unfathomable to even list on my priorities.

Coming next why I'm also not brand 'Scummy Mummy'......

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes! I couldn't agree more, very funny.